Beta Testing Tips
Tips for becoming a more effective SOLIDWORKS Beta tester:
1. Test SOLIDWORKS® Beta products with your normal production workflows.
In your normal production workflows, you likely use specific features of the software much more than other features. For example, you may only use sheet metal features, or weldment feature, or Simulation features. Your familiarity with specific features gives you an advantage to find new bugs in those areas of the software.
In your production version of SOLIDWORKS®, use Pack & Go to quickly copy sample datasets for Beta testing. With this data, do you encounter new crashes, new user interface problems, unexpected results or behaviors, or new usability problems? If yes, submit each of your issues as Beta Service Requests (SR) so that they can be reviewed and considered for resolution before the SOLIDWORKS® SP0 release.
2. Show off your skills and gain recognition for a chance to win prizes!
Each Beta Service Request that you submit automatically enters you into one of the many Beta Points Contests. The more SRs you submit, the better your chances are of winning prizes!
As with any new software, these What’s New items may still have some “wrinkles” to iron out. The things to focus on are:
3. Read the SOLIDWORKS® Beta What’s New and Release Notes documents to see what has changed.
The What’s New document highlights and briefly describes a majority of the new features in the new SOLIDWORKS release. Feel free to test these new features and focus on:
- Usability: Is the feature easy to use and intuitive to use? Is the user interface of the feature clear and easy to understand? Can the feature be improved?
- Performance: Does SOLIDWORKS crash when using the feature or does it not function correctly? Do you see any display or graphics issues while using the feature?
- Results: Does the feature give results that you expect?
If you encounter any problems with the new features, submit each of your issues as Beta Service Requests (SR).
The Release Notes document highlights general changes to SOLIDWORKS products, including changes to system requirements, changes to existing functionality, and other changes that may affect your SOLIDWORKS environment.
4. Participate in Weekly Focus Area Testing
Each week, in the Beta forums, the SOLIDWORKS® Beta Team posts specific areas of the software to test. By submitting Beta Service Requests for issues that you encounter in one of these posted areas, you are awarded bonus points.
5. Connect with the SOLIDWORKS community
The SOLIDWORKS Beta forums are your main source for news, updates, and information about the Beta release. The Beta forums are also your chance to interact directly with the SOLIDWORKS R&D and management teams.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE OR PAYMENT DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. Open only to SOLIDWORKS® software customers, VARs or other partners worldwide who are 19 years of age or older and have a valid subscription service ID prior to June 22, 2015 and at the time of entry, with access to the beta software that must be downloaded and used. Void in Australia, Brazil, Israel, Quebec, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria and where prohibited. Contests end September 6, 2015. Subject to complete Official Rules. Sponsor: Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corporation, 175 Wyman St Waltham, MA 02451, USA.