Tips for Taking the CSWA Exam
Preparing for the exam:
1. Create the models listed under SolidWorks Tutorials CSWA. Recreate the models with no instruction.
2. Understand the fundamental theory of engineering documentation and communication.
a. Read and interpret drawing dimensions and
annotations for parts and assemblies
b. Understand orthographic projection
c. Interpret engineering terminology
d. Recreate models given drawings from engineering
3. Review the sample CSWA exam www.solidworks.com/cswa
Taking the CSWA exam
1. Review all the exam questions.
a. Start the problem you feel most comfortable to model.
b. Read the complete question. Use the slider bar on the
c. Review each drawing view. Image may not be to scale
based on the dimensions given.
2. Understand Design Intent.
a. Select the correct plane.
b. Build symmetry in the sketch and in the feature.
c. Repeat features with patterns and multiple selections.
3. Apply Mates that represent model behavior.
a. Understand components that are fixed in an assembly.
b. Apply standard mates such as coincident, concentric,
distance and angle.
c. Repeat geometry and components with copy and
4. Know how to insert reference geometry and calculate Mass Properties.
a. Apply the correct material.
b. Determine the correct location and orientation of a
reference coordinate system in an assembly.
c. Understand what Mass Property is required for a part
and an assembly.
5. Review the creation and display for all drawing views.
a. Recognize standard views
b. Know how to create Detail, Auxiliary, Section and
6. Know the theory and application methods of SimulationXpress.
a. Understand basic finite element theory
b. Know how to set up a simulation analysis.
After passing the CSWA exam
1. Visit the SolidWorks Virtual Testing Center.
2. Print out your certificate.
3. Copy your CSWA certification number and place it on your resume.