What's New in SOLIDWORKS 2017 3D CAD
The features highlighted below are just a small taste of the hundreds of enhancements and new features found in SOLIDWORKS Standard, SOLIDWORKS Professional and SOLIDWORKS Premium for 2017. (For a more complete look across all SOLIDWORKS products go to our SOLIDWORKS 2017 launch page by clicking here.)
SOLIDWORKS 3D INTERCONNECT
3D Interconnect in SOLIDWORKS® 2017 delivers groundbreaking new capabilities for working with both neutral and native CAD data from various sources, unlocking powerful new workflows for you to collaborate with customers and vendors. You can now:
- Maintain direct integration of native CAD files from PTC® Creo®, Autodesk® Inventor®, Siemens® NX, SolidEdge®, and CATIA®, and treat them like native components.
- Avoid fixing errors or problems due to SOLIDWORKS awareness of all components in the native CAD files, like face and edge IDs.
- Directly open imported files and treat them like Base Parts, so you can freely make design modifications without affecting the native file.
- Update both part and assembly files as design changes take place with Update Model feature.
SOLIDWORKS® 2017 delivers even greater modeling power and performance that speed-up your design process. We listened and responded to your input with a better user experience, plus refined and improved technology, including new tools for Chamfer, Fillet, Advanced Hole specification, and more:
- Create multiple variable chamfers in one simple operation with the enhanced Chamfer tool that now includes advanced options found in Fillet.
- Switch any pre-existing Chamfer to a Fillet and vice versa to apply design changes in seconds.
- Capture and access previous hole definitions and apply pre-saved specifications in an instant with Advanced Hole specification.
- Construct stepped holes faster with one operation using Advanced Hole specification, eliminating the need for complex revolve cuts or multiple features.
SOLIDWORKS® 2017 removes obstacles to creating complex 3D geometry with powerful new surfacing features that save time and avoid complex workarounds. New features let you:
- Create geometry on any surfaces, with improved wrap features.
- Drag and drop features into place, then decide whether to wrap it as emboss, deboss, or just a 3D Curve.
- Offset 3D Curve on a surface, and offset edges or complete faces.
- Define a suitable offset value and use the new 3D Curve as a reference for other features.
SOLIDWORKS® 2017 introduces new and enhanced tools and workflows to answer the challenge of working with large assemblies due to the number of parts and sub-assemblies to load and the interactions to be solved. Additional features include, the ability to:
- Easily layout components with the new mate capability Magnetic Mates.
- Publish parts and assemblies as assets with appropriate connection points for easy drag and drop mating.
- Reposition models easily by un-snapping and re-snapping to new locations according to design needs.
- Create super lightweight model version or Speedpak configuration, including published references.
SOLIDWORKS® 2017 continues SOLIDWORKS focus on making the creation of 2D drawings faster, easier and more intuitive. New features include:
- Link a note to a table cell - You can link a note to the contents of any BOM or hole table cell.
- Jagged Outlines - Crop and detail views support jagged outlines. Break views support jagged cut break line styles.
- Mirror drawing views - You can display model, relative to model, and predefined drawing views as mirror views without creating the mirror components. Projected and other derived views use the mirror state from their parent view.
- Emphasize outlines - In section views, you can emphasize the outline of cut faces in compliance with ISO 128-50. Typically, this means setting the outline of the faces thicker than other model lines in the section view.
- Create crop and detail views with no outline
eDrawings® 2017 enables visualization of all types of product design data for simple and accurate collaboration. You can now:
- View more native CAD formats, such as CATIA® V5 and Autodesk® Inventor®.
- Manipulate geometry, markup, and measure CAD formats accurately, just like any other eDrawings file.
- Give manufacturers the information they need to get their jobs done faster by supporting more neutral formats (such as 3DXML, IGES, OBJ, and STEP AP242) with 3D product manufacturing information from the original CAD system.
- Gain easy access to product data anywhere with mobile apps for both Android® and iOS® devices.
- Add 3D reality to design views with Google® Cardboard.