Synopsys, Optical Solutions Group: LightTools
About Synopsys, Optical Solutions Group:
Synopsys' Optical Solutions Group, formerly Optical Research Associates, is one of the world’s leading developers of optical design and analysis tools, with CODE V® imaging design software and LightTools® illumination design software. The group is also an independent supplier of optical systems design services, with more than 4,800 completed projects in imaging, illumination, and optical systems engineering.
LightTools® is a complete optical design and analysis software product featuring virtual prototyping, simulation, optimization, and photorealistic renderings (including source-lit renderings) of illumination applications. LightTools facilitates innovative designs for a broad range of solid-state lighting applications, including interior and exterior vehicle lighting, fiber light engines, complex light guides, projection systems, machine vision systems, solar collection systems, and more. LightTools combines full optical accuracy, powerful optical and illumination analysis features, and an intuitive, interactive graphical user interface in a 3D solid modeling environment. Real models, "sculpted" in software, interact with rays simulating the light to produce virtual prototypes of manufacturable systems. LightTools’ Monte Carlo ray-tracing facilitates accurate spectral modeling of the illuminance, luminance, intensity distributions, and CIE colorimetric data anywhere in the opto-mechanical model. Volume-emitting or surface-emitting light sources of various pre-defined shapes can be easily created and even combined with mechanical and optical parts to form models of lamps, light bulbs, LEDs, and other illumination devices. The LightTools SolidWorks® Link Module, a direct link between LightTools and SolidWorks, delivers a streamlined and user-friendly engineering environment for optical and mechanical design teams. This module enables designers to link SolidWorks mechanical models to LightTools, where they can assign optical properties, optimize, and directly update their SolidWorks models.
- Integrates 3D CAD, optical modeling, and an interactive user interface to simplify the design of optical systems for illumination applications
- Performs accurate modeling of the illuminance or intensity distribution anywhere in the system; polarization, scattering, and surface reflection effects, as well as the performance of thin film coatings, can be included in the analysis
- Provides a unique interactive approach to design with point-and-shoot ray tracing and dynamic model updating during geometry creation and modification
- Improves system performance automatically with a fully integrated illumination optimization capability
- Provides a bidirectional connection between SolidWorks and LightTools with the LightTools SolidWorks Link Module
- Smart, robust system modeling with full optical accuracy and precision allow you to quickly build illumination systems that meet both design and schedule requirements
- Groundbreaking illumination optimization capabilities provide quick convergence on the design that best meets your goals
- Rapid evaluation of optical behavior during design iterations help you identify and fix potential problem areas early in the product development process
- The LightTools SolidWorks Link Module provides a streamlined engineering environment for optical and mechanical design teams, and allows you to automatically refine SolidWorks geometry using LightTools’ optimization capabilities
- Comprehensive software support is provided by a dedicated staff of degreed optical engineering professionals