Electrical Design in 3D CAD
Designers and engineers can integrate electrical schematic design data from SOLIDWORKS® Electrical 3D™ into a SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD model with our easy to use CAD-embedded, electrical system design. This real-time, bidirectional multi-user tool enables more collaborative design between electrical and mechanical designers and allows for placement or removal of electrical components within the 3D CAD model. Easily create the electrical interconnect of the electrical 3D elements with auto-routing that allows for the planning and documentation of route paths and associated data (such as length of wires, cables, and harnesses within the system).
The real-time synchronization of electrical schematic and CAD model allows for a unified bill of materials (BOM) for the electrical system and the mechanical design, eliminating errors from design changes not being synchronized between design teams.
Electromechanical Design Overview
In the complex world of electromechanical design, the ability to design an electrical system in 3D CAD has been a demanding and daunting task. Those looking to create design elements and define the electrical interconnect of wires, cables, and harnesses have found the process laborious and error prone. The current standard for electrical development in 3D CAD utilizes manual design and the exchange of design data via external files. The use of external files can cause the design to become unsynchronized between the electrical and mechanical designs, resulting in design, manufacturing, and supply chain discontinuities. The current practices also do not provide easy collaboration between design disciplines.
SOLIDWORKS Electrical 3D technology enables development of schematically defined electrical systems that can be readily implemented into the SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD model in a synchronized environment between the electrical and mechanical design teams.
SOLIDWORKS Electrical capabilities include:
- Electrical 3D— Bidirectional integration of electrical schematic design data from SOLIDWORKS Electrical Schematic package with the SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD model
- Auto-routing— Advanced SOLIDWORKS routing technology to simplify the auto-routing process for wire, cables, and harness in the 3D CAD model
- Harness development— Create schematic driven harness designs utilizing real-time, bidirectional functionality, coupled with powerful routing, flattening, and automatic documentation
- Real-time collaboration— Synchronized, bidirectional environment enables multiple users to work on the same project simultaneously in real time for easier project collaboration
- Real-time synchronization— All project design data bidirectionally synchronized in real time between schematics and the 3D model in a multi-user collaborative environment
- Manufacturers electrical component library— Extensive integrated library of manufacturer parts provides an easily customizable and adaptable parts base through easy-to-use import tools and wizards