Electrical Harness Design Planning
Once the virtual harness has been created, SolidWorks Electrical 3D can easily produce detailed assembly drawings using the built-in automated drawing tools. These drawing creation tools provide auto-generate capabilities to create ballooned assembly, pin board, or cut list drawings, as well as associated bill of material documentation.
If modification of auto-created harness designs is necessary, or if the integration of ribbon cables is required, access to the routing tools is included as part of both SolidWorks Electrical 3D and SolidWorks Electrical Professional packages.
Electrical Harness Design Overview
The creation of electrical harness has traditionally been planned through a combination of desktop documentation and 2D drawings. The length of the harness segments was typically derived from actual physical measurements of a prototype. These methods for the development of the electrical harness are labor intensive and highly inaccurate. But harness development in 3D CAD has been a demanding and formidable task that is prone to error, and typically still requires separate documentation for electrical interconnect information.
SolidWorks Electrical 3D electrical harness development capabilities include:
- Single line schematic— Electrical system planning tool for creating complex embedded electrical system utilizing simple pictorial representations of electrical components and interconnectors
- Multiline schematic— Traditional schematic creation tool with a simplified user interface optimized for simplification of repetitive tasks
- Electrical 3D— Bidirectional integration of electrical schematic design data from SolidWorks Electrical Schematic package with the SolidWorks 3D CAD model
- Auto-routing— Advanced SolidWorks routing technology to simplify the auto-routing process for wire, cables, and harness in the 3D CAD model
- Harness development— Create schematic driven harness designs, utilizing real-time bidirectional functionality, coupled with powerful routing, flattening, and automatic documentation
- Real-time collaboration— Synchronized, bidirectional environment enables multiple users to work on the same project simultaneously in real time for easier project collaboration
- Real-time synchronization— All project design data bidirectionally synchronized in real time between schematics and the 3D model in a multi-user collaborative environment
- Manufacturers electrical component library— Extensive integrated library of manufacturer parts provides an easily customizable and adaptable parts base through easy-to-use import tools and wizards