Employers can be confident that an individual with this certification understands the principles of environmental assessment and sustainable design.
Take the Exam
Recommended Self-paced Training
Thoroughly review the Sustainable Design Guide.
Minimum Passing grade
About the Exam
All candidates receive electronic certificates and personal listing on the CSWA directory* when they pass.
The CSWA-Sustainability Exam features theory-based questions in many of these areas::
- Introductory concepts of sustainability and sustainable business
- Broad sustainable design concepts, such as Design for Disassembly (DfD), Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR), and Biomimicry
- The stages of a product life cycle
- Considerations for properly setting up an Environmental Assessment study, such as environmental indicators, scope of the assessment, and metrics to use
- Goal and Scope variables for an Environmental Assessment study, such as system boundary and functional unit
- Common tools for performing Environmental Assessments, such as Product Scorecards and Life Cycle Assessment
- Basic steps for performing a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) study
- Interpreting the results of a product Environmental Assessment
- Universal strategies for sustainable design
- Proper communication of environmental assessment results and use of environmental marketing claims (green marketing)
There is a minimum 14 day waiting period between every attempt of the CSWA-Sustainability exam. Also, a CSWA-Sustainability exam credit must be purchased for each exam attempt.