|Video: SOLIDWORKS PDM Documentation||
Save time, control costs, and improve quality through design reuse, using SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional or SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard to create a framework for quickly locating and reusing or repurposing existing design data. Instead of spending time trying to find prior designs on shared drives or local workstations—or recreating designs when you can’t find them—you can use SOLIDWORKS PDM tools to locate them quickly. Features include:
Fast, robust search capabilities put the design files at your fingertips.
- Access search tools directly from Windows® Explorer or any File Open dialog
- Save favorite searches and share them with other users (SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional only)
- Configure search inputs to customize both the search information your company uses and the presentation of results
- Assign search inputs by user or group, enabling different departments to customize their search preferences
- Utilize content search to find text in drawing notes, specification sheets, and even in other formats like Microsoft® Office and Adobe® programs (SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional only)
Integrated File Preview
Convenient preview tools enable quick sorting of existing designs.
- Take advantage of dynamic 3D viewing capabilities based on SOLIDWORKS eDrawings®
- Preview hundreds of file types inside Windows Explorer (SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional only)
- Connect to third-party viewers and document comparison tools to expand viewing capabilities and compare file versions (SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional only)
File Structure Copy and Rename
File structure and naming manipulation capabilities enable easier reuse of design data.
- Repurpose existing CAD model structures to account for new “same as, but different” scenarios that utilize existing designs
- Reuse and copy files with new names and/or part numbers
- Assign new part numbers automatically to copied files (SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional only)
- Add drawings to your file structure—even those of lower level components—to avoid the tedious tasks of locating all related drawings and replacing references manually